Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Scatterbrained UPDATE 4




So here's the finished piece...
I ended up desaturating a few areas. I realized I really tend to drift around a lot, jumping from place to place. Although I don't normally like to use the "airbrush", I ended up using it a lot more in this one as I went on. It helped to soften certain areas. Generally I tried to get a soft tone with broad varying shades then used smaller brush strokes to cast heavier shadows and hilites here and there. I find in difficult to make certain calls over time because it feels like I dont know whats good anymore after I stare at it for too long.
At some point during the process I start to play around with textures. This is usually what makes me start changing some things. I might like what something does and it skews me in that direction. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for worse.
Thanks to Bruno again for some tips!
J...

16 comments:

Mathieu Reynès said...

Yeah ! Very, very cute :)
Fantastic work on colors !

Beatriz Iglesias said...

Her lips and the drops in the rose are awesome! Really nice work...the colors are sweet and corrects. Congrats...this is a great illo.
Cheers,
^__^

Mukpuddy said...

Flippin sweet dude!!!

ElvKun said...

Javier,

Its me Elvis, from Lane / Haugan. Spoke to Sheryl and she gave me the link to this site. Hope all is well, talk to you soon.

Tobias Schwarz said...

great!

flaviano said...

i really love the red area near mouth and rose!
great coloring!

Bruce Glidewell said...

Beautiful piece Holmes. Love how it turned out.

Alexandre Augusto Ferreira said...

Amazing!!
Great blog and stuff!

Art of Don Dixon said...

This is the good stuff!

Dan said...

Great stuff man, my favorite of the past few. Really loving the approach and your thought process on these.

K.B. said...

Nice work Guzzie!!

SACKS said...

NICE work man! Love the rendering.

E said...

i love it! I think everybody has that problem if you look to long to a picture you don't know what's good anymore, very annoying.

colectivo bicicleta said...

muy bonito... pero por favor sube mas cositas...

Louie del Carmen said...

This painting turned out so well. You've got the chops man!! It was nice having you as a neighbor last year in San Diego. Hope to see you again this year.

Martin Wittig said...

lBEAUTIFUL!!!! Really great work:)